I know most of you will think this idea is lame and far fetched and I'm just a wishful thinker.

Would it be possible that we, as a group with all our collective backgrounds in software development, could actually gather enough irrefutable evidence so that it might be presented to a judge to prove this patent is bogus and should not have been issued?

Alright!  I'll just bend over and you guys can kick. Go ahead ... ;-)

Alex Janssen

Lars D. Noodén wrote:

One problem is the junk patent which is far too vague and covers obvious developments and covers prior art. Two perl modules come to mind right off "Storeable" and "Data::Dumper";, I'm sure there are other serialization modules in C libraries or even Pascal if one wants examples going back to the 80's or late 70's.

The other is the general problem of sw patents. Which cost millions to over turn. There was a conference on the topic in Brussels last year in November and the lawyers there indicated that based on actual costs, it runs about $4 million to throw out a bad patent. So what it alsmost comes down to is a contest of which team has more money.

SW Patents are a threat to *all* small and medium businesses. SMB is anything with < 1 billion per year -- so that means pretty much all European business. And most of those don't have a spare $4 million every quarter to throw out the bad patents.

A third problem is that MS is putting on a huge marketing / mindshare campaign right now and is doing everything possible to distract or confuse the public in regards to OpenOffice and OpenDocument.

-Lars
Lars Nooden ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
    Software patents harm all Net-based business, write your MEP:
    http://wwwdb.europarl.eu.int/ep6/owa/p_meps2.repartition?ilg=EN