Daniel Carrera on 02.06.2005 20:56 wrote:
Robin Laing wrote:

If you want a good idea of how Microsoft views Open formats, look at their response to the idea of including OASIS filters in Word. The details are on the OASIS web site.

http://www.oasis-open.org/home/index.php

Basically they don't want to support OASIS but have people use their version of XML. They may still be forced into supporting OASIS as it becomes more standardized. :)

I can't say that I'm surprised. I'm hoping that the EU will force them to support the OASIS OpenDocument format. It could happen.

Dream on.

I don't think regulating standard document formats is the solution. That would stifle and "bureaucracise" any progress. If people continue to *choose* to buy and use MS Office, then it is their *own fault*. I've been using WordPerfect for 10+ years at home and have *never* had any problems. I've also used it at work for many years until my company insisted I use MS Office. Prior to that, I had *no* problems using WP and submitting reports to clients that use Word (paper, PDF, or converted to Word).

Now the EU could, as a *client*, require that all electronically submitted reports be in an open format...

--
Regards,

Peter Reaper

The browser you can trust:  http://www.GetFirefox.com