On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 13:05 -0400, Lars D. Noodén wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> [...]
> > You would think that a conservative institution like Harvard would wanna
> > skew its results in Microsoft's favor.  But I thought that their
> > analysis was surprisingly not handicapped very much in Microsoft's
> > favor.
>
> Perhaps that's the best they could do given the data. ;)

These professors are sincere, but they are ignorant of important Open
Source drivers (l10n, foreign gov't support of domestic IT) and do not
see the limitations of their field.  To wit, **social** models about the
adoption of innovation, not economic models, are more descriptive of the
Open Source situation.

Also, the premise of FLOSS vs MS misses what is so powerful about FLOSS.
If FLOSS were dedicated to killing MS, it would lose.  As is, the scope
of FLOSS's objectives makes it much more powerful.

At best we see almost 100% FLOSS in the globe with US being about 50% MS
50% FLOSS in the mid-term.  US will be the only market to hold onto MS;
even piracy wont hold ex-USA.  Long term, MS will be negligible unless
they start to market FLOSS products.

-Sam