Chuck wrote:

My point is that OSS will never be more than a small niche compared to
commercial software. Most people believe that a program's quality is
proportional to it's price. In their minds, free = piece of crap,
expensive equals great software with great support. I'm not saying this
is true, but it's what most people think.  People for some strange
reason *want* to pay for software when equal or superior software is
available for free.

OSS has been available for years to fill many needs and yet it never
garners more than 1-2% of the market. Firefox, Thunderbird, OOo, Linux,
and others are perfect examples. They are all superior to their
commercial counterparts but are no where near replacing them in the market.
Robert Derman replies: No situation lasts forever, sooner or later people WILL realize that high price is _no_ guarantee of quality, at least as far as software is concerned, and cheap or free does not nessisarily mean junk. When that happens and it will happen, FLOSS software will take off and commercial software will become a niche market item.
Alex wrote:
OSS has already replaced a number of commercial elements.  Firefox for
browsing, Thunderbird for email, OpenOffice for (guess what here) in my
business, Linux for a file server ( soon the desktop).  I don't get your
commment. :-)

Cheers,
Alex Janssen

Chuck wrote:

Anthony Long wrote:

I'm curious to know what people think about this article?

http://hbsworkingknowledge.hbs.edu/item.jhtml?id=4834&t=technology

Cheers,

Anthony
There are four things in life that are guaranteed...

1) You will be born
2) You will die
3) You will pay taxes
4) OSS will _NEVER_ replace commercial software