Chris Quirke, system builder and freelance consumer PC tech.

Interested in OOO as free replacement for MS Office for my clients.

It's great to be able to fiddle with unit types (inches vs. cm vs. miles)
within each application.  But it sucks that one HAS To do this, and
that OOO is too dumb to read what the OS-wide default units are.

For example, I typically set up PCs as if they were in default-land (US)
then set units to metric within Windows' regional detail.  Everything that
is installed should read that selection and default to metric, but OOO
fails to do this.  To fix this, I have to wade through a number of dialogs,
often two per OOO component, and all of which are different (so much
for the consistency of a suite vs. collection of loose apps); if it's View in
one app, it may be General in another.

Installing and setting up OOO becomes so tedious I'm tempted to skip it.

FWIW, my advice site: http://cquirke.mvps.org