My $0.02 worth is to assist people to assist themselves. In other
words (and following the general belief held in open source circles)
you give enough information to people for them to find answers for
themselves. This is better than giving them the answer directly...

People who are then willing to find out and are genuine will then go
and find out the answers, those that aren't won't bother.

This, of course, is tempered with how much time I've got to reply to
people. If I've got lots, the details I offer will be more than if
time is short...

Its up to the individual person, however all questions should
generally be on topic for the particular email list....

/paul