Colin McDermott írta:

Dear Open Office

I am a computer recyclers. I get old Pentium 2's and rebuild them with Linux.

I am having an issue with open office on a Pentium 2 with 64mb of ram it takes 3 minutes to load on a minimal desktop. If I preload this via the command ooffice -quickstart & then run openoffice it takes a little over 1 minute. If I increase this to 128mb of ram it preforms a little better. But it still takes an incredible amount of time to start up. This is followed by a 10 second lag where your words will come up slowly.

Altering the memory usage controls does nothing.

I have compared these machines with the equivalent (actually poorer) windows machines. They run open office much faster even though Windows xp uses much more memory. I haven't even preloaded them.

Is there any plans for a lighter version of open office that can still read .doc specifications (I know about abiword and koffice)? Alternatively is there a library that I can add to make openoffice usable if you are running only 64mb of ram? Is there a team that is working on making a lighter version of open office (I will join it)?

Could I please get some answers to these questions. Recycling old PC's is a huge issue. We need an office sweet that is use able and so far your office sweet is it. Sadly it cannot run well on these machines as they are not the latest specification.

Please Open office you are my only hope?

You may try latest betas of OOo. 1.9.115 starts much quickier than olde builds (for example First Public Beta)

KAMI