Steve Kopischke wrote, but this post doesn't concern him personally:

Marco:

While you have brought up a topic that may or may not ever see a resolution, you might want to consider cutting back on the espresso.

Apart from Peter, Marco's detractors seem to have a difficult time reading and understanding. Marco in fact proposed a very sensible solution, and he did mention the technical necessities (a computer that is not only constantly on, but online) early on. Instead of replies to the point he got accusations - mostly from people who have nothing to do with the manual editing and sending of the posts to the unsubscribed. The same people claimed that the don't-change-anything fraction in the thread was the majority. You don't have to count far; do it and you'll see.

Your opinions seem to place you in the minority on this topic. You can't seem to find a solution within your own e-mail client to manage the small number of duplicate posts (yes, Marco, it is a small number) because others are trying to show some measure of politeness on the OOo lists to some who do not subscribe before posting or who do not follow the instructions provided earlier today.

There is a difference between politeness on the list and politeness to the unsubscribed users. While it is great that Peter not only relays, but selects answers to unsubscribed users, it is certainly highly inefficient to have all the regular subscribed readers waste their bandwith and time with duplicate posts. Proposing individual solutions like filtering for the list when the concerned individual is the one off list doesn't seem quite right, or does it?

Some time ago, (on this or a related list, I don't remember) there was a rationale behind the duplicates: It should save other readers from relaying a post that has already been sent on, because the server software wasn't able to do it automatically. Does this still hold? I only ever see Peter (and CPH elsewhere) doing it anyway.

Different point: I, and certainly many others, at one point didN#t know anything about mailing lists or the usenet (where I read the list now), but I have learned. An automated mail telling people how to subscribe to either service, perhaps with the comforting detail that the footer in every post will offer an easy link to get off the list again, should be enough. Educating people about OpenOffice and pampering them about other computer skills don't go well together, IMHO.

klaus