Hello Bob,

No, OpenOffice.org does not open MS Publisher files, nor do I know of any other program that does.

As you probably know, MS Publisher uses a secret propietary format. It would take years of work to guess how it works, during which time Microsoft wuold be free to keep changing it to make our work harder. This is the problem with using propietary formats. You are locked into Microsoft, and you are now forced to buy Office Pro on your next computer even though you're not really interested in the product.

The only way out of this lock-in is to bite the bullet, use MS Publisher to export your data to some other format, and just accept that there will be information loss. This would be a wise, long-term strategy. The longer you use propietary formats you keep your data, the stronger the lock-in, and the less able you will be to choose an alternative. The consequence of that, of course, is fewer choices and higher prices for you.

Cheers,
Daniel Carrera.
OpenOffice.org volunteer.

Bob Beller wrote:
Just wondering if OO is planning on a program to work with MS Publisher type files in the future; or if there is already an open source (Windows) program that will work with them. That would be the final piece to not installing Office Pro on my next computer.

     /\/`) Leave your mark at OpenOffice.org
    /\/_/  http://oooauthors.org
   /\/_/
   \/_/    "The pedant keep things in order, the genius
   /       rules the chaos" -- Sigrid Kronenberger