Hi,

I am currently investigating somewhat into this. I have to admit, that I doubt providing .deb files, which are just converted out of .rpm files, with aliens help, has any value. The only difference for end users would be to call

  alien -i *.rpm

instead of

  dpkg -i *.deb

which IMHO is trivial and could even be coded into dpkg.

The only real sense, again IMHO, in providing .deb files lies in also providing APT conforming directory structures, which would mean, that I can add an entry like

deb ftp:///ftp.openoffice.org/debian/ testing contrib

or such to my sources.list, and (semi) automatically update my installation (once a week or so).

Opinions?

Kay

SunnyRabbiera wrote:
Now that there is a new beta availible for Open office I think its time Openoffice concidered making a new installer for 2.0's betas so we wont have to convert from 800 RPM's if we use things like debian, gentoo or slackware when the real thing is ready.

I find it VERY annoying to have to convert the zillions of RPM packages just to get it to work on my distro.

I find this is very discouraging to newbies who dont know how to convert packages via alien or what not, and I dont think it is fair for open office to think of RPM's first and think of everything else 80th.

as a testimony to let open office know thatb RPM's are not the end all and be all to packager management, I will direct many debian users to abi word and K office until this issue is reolved...