Please excuse me if I have not understood the problem,
but in 1.1.4 I use in an open document: File
Properties  Statistics  which gives me a report on
number of words and of characters including spaces and
punctuation.  It reports lines, as well, which is
useful to me, but may not be of any interest in
translating.  It also counts paragraphs, and will add
one for each carriage return.  An approximation of
number of characters (including punctuation) without
counting spaces would be to subtract the number of
words from the number of characters manually, since
each word should have most commonly one trailing
space.

Regards,

Carl