On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 16:18:15 +0100, Randomthots <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Alexandro Colorado wrote:

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 16:38:11 +0100, Randomthots <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Nicu Buculei wrote:

You will often see people defining the "office suite" as something including *all* the things included in Microsoft Office, probably this is an effect of Microsoft's clever marketing.

The point isn't whether or not MSO has a component but WHY MSO has a component. Outlook is a part of MSO because e-mail, calendaring, and task management are a central set of office-oriented functions. Frontpage is included because web-page creation is at least as important in disseminating information as paper documents, pdf, or presentations.

Rod
So on this new office suite of today where people do most of their work on web applications, should we all do a Web version of OOo?

Just where in my post did you extract "this new office suite of today where people do most of their work on web applications"? I was only pointing out that the end product of content-creation is as likely to be html as paper. I could point you to any number of web-sites where you have the choice of viewing the content as html or downloading a pdf of the exact same thing to print out. I've also seen a number of sites that offer a Powerpoint, a pdf of the Powerpoint, and an html version of the exact same slides. Since these are technically oriented sites, I *KNOW* you've seen the same sort of thing.

At the same time this applications are not very web oriented and alternative has been develop. Take for example the difference between downloading a desktop file vs. the W3C css projector media. They both are builded to have a presentation, but who you think is more 'web-oriented'.

Another option is also PDF file vs. what Macromedia is doing with Flash paper. Then again having files on line is not so web oriented since the whole thing is to do work on the browser more than reliying on a desktop application like a PDF reader or a copy of MSO to view that file.

In my mind the only real question is *how much* html support is appropriate. Should it be an "export to html" button akin to the "export to pdf"? Direct editing of html code with syntax checking? WSIWYG layout like FrontPage, Dreamweaver, et al? Site management? I'm not sure where that line should be, but wherever it is go that far, no further, and do what you do as well as possible.

Well one option is to have a server based so OOo saves directly to your website. Another is to make the html more customized like choose encoding type and doctype, that will make it more compliant at least.

If you have seen webapplications like gallery that is a webapplication to display images they have manufacture different methods to ease the process of uploading pictures using a java client or an automation of zip files.

The more web oriented will mean that the application will know what you want to do and save you steps in the process to publish. I wonder if we should incorporate flash paper as part of the export engine, simply because we already do it for impress (as swf) and flash paper might just need some minor adaptations and also have better formating.

Impress tries to be web-oriented using the dynamic applications on ASP and Perl, unfortunately the lack of knowledge of this tool, hasn't make it easy to port it to other web-apps like PHP or Ruby on rails.

Should we
blog  instead of producing documents?

Blog instead of producing documents? Why is it an either/or question? I don't know a lot about blogging, but from what I've seen they seem like fairly simple standard web-pages. Nothing fancy; surely within the capabilities of OOo. I'll leave it to others to tell us if the mechanics of posting such a thing could be a reasonable addition to OOo.

Well it is fancy, what I mean with that is acknowledging some major blogs API's like the Blogger API. And have an app like gnome blog (http://www.gnome.org/~seth/gnome-blog/) which lets you type on the desktop and automatically post it on the blog with just saving.

They are compliants with Blogger, Advogato, Movable Type, WordPress, LiveJournal and Pyblosxom. If there is some more php development we can make a class or component to be able to post to all the custom LAMP blogs.

Should we have more compatibility
with our  Cellphones and PDA and have bluetooth native support?

Now I think you're just being facetious. I've seen you post on very technical subjects so I'm pretty sure you know that "bluetooth native support" is meaningless in this context. While we're at it, lets throw in native support for Wi-Fi, Wi-Max, Ethernet, ATM, Frame Relay, Token Ring, FDDI, and 56K Dialup. I suppose you could include Telegraph, Telex, and Semaphore flags as well. Bluetooth is a Physical and Data Link layer networking technology that is totally transparent at the Application level. It's even transparent to browsers, e-mail, and the lowly ping command.

OOo wont have to prive this nativeness, I am talking about being aware of layers such as D-Bus which is a layer that talks to devices and kernel. If applications connect to d-bus they can do stuff on-connect. Like for example publish your pictures to the web once you plug the USB on your cammera.

If OOo talks to D-Bus for it will call bluez (bluetooth component) and will make the option to export directly to the cellphone without you having to save to the harddrive and then using a third application to do the export.

You usually see something like this with sync plug-in in outlook which have the option to directly transport your agenda to your handheld without needing to saving to a file and then doing a IR/bluetooth transport.

Rod

Alexandro Colorado
CoLeader of OpenOffice.org ES
http://es.openoffice.org