On 9/25/05, Alexandro Colorado <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 20:31:33 +0100, Chad Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> However which API to choose, you got blogger and MetaWeblog, but you also
> have 100 other blog centers. Blogger is like the geocities, but also is
> not alone, MovableTypes, LiveJournal, WordPress, PyBloxom, etc etc. I will
> actually preffer seen one for WordPress since is commercial (like blogger)
> but also is free software (you can download the app and install it in your
> server). Making you blog on an API.

I already answered this too. Of course, creating a plugin for one API does
not preclude or exclude the possiblity of making more than one such plugin.
Firefox has plugins for hundreds of search engines. OOo can do the same for
Blogs.

> Since Google is FLOSS-friendly, and has already allowed plugins to be
> made
> so their stuff can work with OOo, they would probably give equal time to
> this proposed plugin. It would make OOo more popular (Bloggers love free
> stuff - since Blogger itself is free, as is the Word plugin). And it
> would
> put OOo more in touch with Web 2.0.

> Blogger is the biggest blog site on earth, owned by one of
> the most popular tech companies on earth. Linking up with them (but not
being
> tied to them - we can make similiar tools for other blogsites) would only
> help OOo, and we could hype the heck out of this one. Tapping into the
> Blogosphere can only mean good this for OpenOffice.org.

For example you can already use OOo with DokuWiki which is also is a
> killer app for publishing. Read this
> http://applications.linux.com/print.pl?sid=05/01/10/232235 might gives you
> the tips to install it and configure it. It is already a plug-in to
> publish your documents -- partially.

I wish people would read my whole posts....

> Now, before you all get into the whole: OOo can already do this by
> creating
> an HTML file, and then using FTP to save it online, or by creating a
> Writer
> file, and then you copy and paste it into your online blog-editor, or
> before
> *anyone* mentions the letters XML - I want to say this. I'm talking about
> something that works exactly the same way as Blogger for Word. You open a
> new file, type away, press publish, and you're done. I'm also talking
> about
> something, therefore, that would be Blog-host specfic (I suggest starting
> Blogger, since Google will soon rule the world), and would allow users to
> save their username and passwords so they don't have to feel like they
> are
> logging in each time. This tool is for bloggers, not hackers or
> programmers.
> Bloggers (of which I am one) have problems running spellcheck, so telling
> them to write a macro is like asking them to parse pi. It ain't gonna
> happen.

I want something simple. I download the plugin, double-click, click "I
agree" - it's installed. I then open OOo Writer, type type type, click
publish, type in my username and password - it's on the web. Once again, the
ugly geek-head of open source rises to the surface. I asked you not to say
"You can already do this by hacking this, compiling that, etc." and you said
"OOo can already do this by..." anyway. Unless the addon I described already
exists, (plug-n-play style) - then you *CANNOT* already do what I am wanting
to do.

The only piece of the pie missing is an actual client that can connect to
> the Web and syncronize publish it without end-user interaction. Even the
> DokuWiki plug-in just put the data in your clipboard (not the web).

Then this is nothing like what I was talking about.

""Once DokuWiki is installed, it's time to configure OpenOffice.org
> Writer. To be able to use Writer with DokuWiki, you need to download and
> install the Iannz DokuWiki macro, which parses the currently opened Writer
> document, converts it into the DokuWiki format (the original document
> remains intact), and copies it into the Clipboard. All you have to do then
> is paste the contents of the Clipboard into a new DokuWiki page.""

Geek garbage that bloggers don't want to/don't have to deal with. What
benefit is there to it when doing it in OOo is *HARDER* than doing it
online? Online they get WYSIWYG instant access. If OOo can supply that but
in a way they don't have to be online, and with more powerful editing tools,
then there is a benefit.

A good example of what you want is already founded in Gnome-blog and
> probably some other applications allow you to do this publishing. The only
> thing will be actually is use the open source method, download Gnome-blog
> code read it and modify it. Fortunately you can bind
> openoffice.org<http://openoffice.org>with
> external applications. DannyB from OOoForum explains methods to do this.
> So in theory you can bind gnome-blog publishing engine to OOo and have
> this accesability.

The word "Gnome" in the above paragraph leads me to believe this is a
Linux-only app. Therefore, it is unuseable for the cross-platform
OpenOffice.org.

If you think this escape your capabilities you can contract a developer
> and ask him to do that. I bet you can get some talented developers on a
> Linux user group as well as some programming houses. Hopefully you can ask
> them to release this under GPL.

Well, by posting this to the OpenOffice.org discuss group, I was hoping it
would be read by developers.

It is absolutely amazing how much of my "Response" to your email is actually
reposted from the email you were responding to... Please read my emails
before tearnig them apart. Thanks!