On 10/15/05, Ian Lynch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > And the author raises a good point. If anyone truly cares about ODF
> becoming
> > usable for anyone other than geeks and open source people - then a
> reader is
> > absolutely necessary.
>
> There already is one, its called OpenOffice.org

You said exactly what I said you'd say. It's such a burden being right all
the time.

> It has to be small enough to download in less than 10
> > minutes on 24.4 dialup. It has to be available for Windows, Mac, and
> Linux.
> > It has to be free, (as in no money). And it has to be easy to find and
> > advertised. The more languages it runs in, the better. And, the more
> OSes it
> > runs on, the better - (ie, Solaris, Classic Mac, Palm, Unix, DOS, OS/2,
> > etc.).
>
> OOo is a good fit apart from download speed.

Not even close. It's a freaking beast - not a reader. Not only is it to dang
big to download just to read one file - but its too complicated and over
powering to just read a file. How many emails to get a day crying "Open
Office ATE MY MACHINE!" because it switched file associations? And that's
from people who *wanted* an office suite. Imagine the moaning we'd get when
people just wanted to view the weird file their geek friend sent them.

> If ODF is as open and easy to understand as people claim - I don't see why
> > an interested coder couldn't make one in a day or two.
>
> ODF specification is 800 pages. That does not mean its not open. Easy to
> understand? Depends on who you are. For an XML expert it probably is
> easy to understand - its certainly easy enough for developers of office
> suites to understand since many of them are implementing it.

"So many of them?" ROFL! What? TWO??? Two is not many. I've only heard of 2
office suites - OpenOffice/SO and KOffice. What others? For the record,
AbiWord is *NOT* a suite - just a word processor.

> For the record - I'm not a coder, and I don't care if ODF lives or dies,
> in
> > fact, I'm pretty sure it will fail
>
> Such an optimist ;-)

Realist.