Hi Morgan,

Aha, so we're looking for speed and a specific bullet.

Here are my thoughts, short of writing a manual on the spot ;> or addressing the issue of whether this information is out there on the web.

Applying quickly: In OOo 2.0 the default behavior for the Shift F12 feature is to give you the style of bullet you most recently used; you've probably noticed this. Most recently as in the bullet formatting above where your current cursor is. So if you just want the chunk bullet to be used throughout the document, you just need to apply it once, then just use Shift F12 to apply the same bullet wherever you want. (And of course Tab to indent, Shift Tab to outdent.)

Creating a style with the bullet you want: To create a style using the chunky bullet, choose Format > Styles and Formatting. In the Styles and Formatting window, right-click and choose New. In the Organizer tab, in the Name field, type chunkybullet or whatever you want. In the Bullets tab select the chunky bullet which I believe is in the B1 position, to use spreadsheet terminology. You said "second to top left pane" but that seems to be a chunky arrow so I'm a little confused.

Alternately, instead of choosing one of those bullets in the Bullet tab, click on the Options tab to get a much bigger selection. Select Bullets from the Numbering dropdown list, and next to the Character prompt, click the browse ... icon. Scroll through and find something you like, and click OK. (You can choose multiple fonts so this can take a lonnnng time if you're so inclined. ;> )

>> (Perhaps a minor irritation, but indicative of the larger problem of these two bullet/numbering systems not working to support each other.)

I still want to mention, if I'm understanding you correctly, that it's really the
same system, not two. Format > Bullets and Numbering, and styles, use the same
features. It's just how you get there and what you want to do with the formatting
choices you make. You can do all the steps I talked about for creating the styles by
starting off by choosing Format > Bullets and Numbering rather than choosing to
create a new style.

HTH,

Solveig
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

OpenOffice.org Blog: Tips and Tricks, News and Ideas
http://www.openoffice.blogs.com

OpenOffice.org Training, Consulting, and Learning Materials
http://www.getopenoffice.org

"OpenOffice.org Resource Kit" User's guide from Prentice Hall

Morgan Read wrote:

Solveig Haugland wrote:
There are two approaches as you say, but the two approaches use the same
underlying formatting capabilities. The difference lies in how the
formatting is applied and saved.  If you use styles then you save your
formatting choices in a style and can then apply that style to any text.
If you choose Format > Bullets and Numbering, your formatting choice are
simply applied directly to the currently selected text.
Hi Solveig,

Perhaps I should say what I'm trying to do: basically I'm sitting in
lectures taking my lecture as dictation.  I do use styles, honest.  But when
I'm typing like this I'm typing fast, so the best way to apply a bullet is
shift+F12: whack, no mucking.

Also, using the styles method I've not yet been able to work out how to get
the bullet character that is the chunky bullet (2nd to top left pane in the
"Bullets" tab via  "Format -> Bullets and Numbering..." - I know the "List
1" bullet style character is a chunky bullet, but it's not the same one and
is about twice the size and (imho) ugly.  (Perhaps a minor irritation, but
indicative of the larger problem of these two bullet/numbering systems not
working to support each other.)

Anyway, so what I'm after is a comprehensive explanation of how to set up
the default bullets via "Format -> Bullets and Numbering..." so they behave
in a consistent and predictable way.  Something, despite many peoples best
endeavours (including yourself) that seems to be completely elusive - thus,
my urge to list a bug (at least against documentation).

Thanks & happy bulleting:)
Morgan.