I had been down that path. I think the difference is that I had been working
on a document at one point and they were using style standards that I have
since used. One of them was for a heading to be .014 inches and all the way
across the page, which borders handles quite nicely. One for a sub-heading
did the same, but the line extended only as far as the text in the heading.

Underlining does not let me control the distance of the line from the text.

Thank you,

Mark