Le vendredi 28 octobre 2005 à 08:14 +0000, Andrew Brown a écrit :
> "Shawn K. Quinn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:

> > Microsoft only cares that you keep using their
> > products and giving them your money; they really don't care whether or
> > not you can use a competing product.
>
> Of course. How is this supposed to be uniquely wicked? Do linux zealots
> care whether anyone can use MS products?

Of course by inserting zealot here you've answered your own question.

Now if you remove the zealot part I'll say they care very much after
interoperability. They support multiple non-Linux filesystems, have
samba, wine, etc. No one in the industry has gone so far to communicate
gracefully with other systems, except perhaps the BSDs (and I doubt BSDs
have such a strong commitment, as they have a much more limited focus).

So this line is both wrong and pretty offensive to all the people that
did this interoperability work. You can't compare Linux to MS in the
interoperability field. They're not even close. In fact they're pretty
much at opposite ends of the interoperability spectrum.

This being said there is a strong feeling in the Linux world nowadays
that silently bearing the costs of interoperability is not enough, and
pushing for conventions or even standards that would level the field a
bit is the right thing to do.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot