Le vendredi 28 octobre 2005 à 10:27 +0000, Jonathon Blake a écrit :
> Nicolas wrote:
>
> > - and I may be wrong there, but can you apply multiple character styles to
> > the same word
>
> Each character in a word can have a different character style.  A
> character may only have one character style and one paragraph style,
> though.

As I suspected. This means if you use character styles for language, you
can't use them for anything else without endlessly deriving character
styles based on language. Which as Shoshannah wrote is a major PITA, and
she's only working with dual language documents.

> > If you don't create a very simple style that only specifies language,
> > there is bound to be bad juju interaction with formatting.
>
> Create a parallel style for every language.  This ends up with a
> number of styles, but it keeps the formatting straight.  [Just don't
> save your document in RTF.]

This is what people are complaining about. That's a step most of them
have no use for, and it's incredibly time consuming

> >Also if you go through styles that means users will have to set up what
> style to apply with what input every time they change documents
>
> That is what templates are for.
> Or just add all 10 000 styles you have created to your default template.

Can't. Professional translators for example work on already existing
documents which already have a style set (which does not include
languages BTW because the original writer cared little about those
bits). Usually they do contract work for many different clients which
all use different conventions, so if language conventions are not
enforced at the tool level that means restarting from zero every time.

>  Nicolas wrote:
> > From a pure UI POW what most users expect is a dropdown control with a
> > language list in the toolbar (like for styles, but strictly limited to
> > language), and a key accel to quickly switch between the languages
>
> Andrew Brown wrote:
>
> > This could surely be cludged around with an addin.
>
> Your proposed kludge is fairly simple:
> i) Duplicate the current cell/paragraph/character style.
> ii) Change the language to the new language;
> iii) Save new character style.
>
> and iv) Hope that the user remembers that they have already created a
> character style with the language that they want to use.  [If they
> don't their style sheet will be littered with styles that they created
> as one shot uses.  Search/Replace can't search for character styles,
> to clean that mess up.]

This supposes the original document is properly styled, when you are not
the original author just a poor translator you have to work with what
people give you. You're not paid to re-do the styling of the whole
document just to be able to use OO.o language facilities.

> Nicolas wrote:
>
> > but I don't feel we are making any sense to the styling camp.
>
> Essentially, the choices are:
> i) Include language as a style attribute;
> ii) Include style as a language attribute;

iii) Completely separate styles and language, allow something like
if(russian) in styles for the few people that need language-based
conditional formatting. That's the only justification for
language-in-styles nowadays and there's absolutely no reason it must be
implemented by having styles set language.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot