"M. Fioretti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in news:20051028200137.GH4077
@mclink.it:

> In the last year C. Smith has repeatedly annoyed many other members of
> this list. Apart from (lack of) good manners, he has consistantly
> demonstrated ignorance of basic IT and industry policy concepts,
> regardless of how many times they have been proven to him with
> objective data, with a determination that can only be explained by:
>
>      1) serious mental disability, or
>      2) deliberate trolling

I think Chad should stay, for three reasons. The first is that he's not
the only person showing a stubborn and apparently deliberate inability to
comprehend their opponents' points. It is a characteristic both of
mailing lists in general, and geeks, if I may use the term, in
particular. See the brilliant paper on "tact filters" at
http://www.mit.edu:8001/people/jcb/tact.html

Secondly, and selfishly, if he goes someone else will have to take up the
position of microsoft realist, and I fear it will be me. I agree with
every word he said in his rant about how many people tell outrageous lies
about Microsoft and its software -- for another example, look at the
shitstorm on George Ou's Ziff Davies blog after he pointed out that Calc
is about *136 times* slower to load spreadsheets than Excel. This is a
fact. It is freely admitted by our own engineers. It has something to do
with the inefficiencies of OOo's own coding, and something to do with the
inherent inefficiencies of XML. Yet there are hundreds of messages
denouncing him for "spreading Microsoft FUD" and similar things.
Inconvenient facts are not enemy propaganda.

Thirdly -- let's keep a sense of proportion. This is a mailing list. It
achieves nothing. It's recreational typing. If individuals want to
killfile him, that's fine, and probably a prerequisite for sanity. I have
a killfile of my own which works so well I have forgotten who is in it.
But announcing that he is to be expelled from it is just silly.

--
Andrew Brown
The email in the header does not work.