I don't think so, but I am not a lawyer. What I do know is that MANY commercial and non-commercial (like this one) programs can do it, and they still exist. The software isn't illegal, and you don't have to use the Microsoft formats. In fact, unless you need to send files to someone else, use the included OpenDocument format. It makes much smaller files, cannot contain viruses, and is a completely open standard.