On Mon, 2005-11-14 at 17:45 -0600, Randomthots wrote:
> Shawn K. Quinn wrote:
> > "Free of charge" (price) is not the same thing as "free as a bird" or
> > "free speech" (freedom).
>
> Understand that for the vast majority (including me) the difference is
> almost moot. The fact that I couldn't hack the code if my life depended
> on it renders open-source the functional equivalent of free-ware. The
> only real difference is that if I had the money I could theoretically
> hire someone to do it for me. I don't so I can't.

The difference is far from moot, especially when you consider a
Microsoft EULA (end-user license agreement).

Obviously, you're one of the people that just accepts it without
actually reading what you are agreeing to. Next time you install
non-free (as in freedom) software, read the EULA. All of it. Then
realize by the nature of the LGPL, OOo has *none* of those encumbering
conditions. Microsoft's EULAs are particularly obnoxious.

Even if you cannot program, the availability of OOo as free software
means a lot. For one, it means if you decide to change operating
systems, you can still run a native version of OOo (assuming it's ported
to that OS). Will Microsoft ever compile a version of its office suite
for GNU/Linux? GNU/Hurd? FreeBSD? OpenBSD? NetBSD? Solaris? I sure
wouldn't bet money on it...

Free software means when you *can* afford to hire a programmer to make a
feature enhancement to OOo, you can do so. Free software means
security-critical bugs get fixed now, not when the vendor (like
Microsoft) decides to finally say "yeah, this really is an issue, we'll
have a patch out by Thursday" on Friday morning. (Anyone remember the
teardrop vulnerability in the Linux kernel that also affected Windows?)
And the list goes on...

As an aside, I think use of the term "open source" has confused far too
many people (and given the chance for some unscrupulous people and
companies to call things "open source" where the user's freedoms were
dubious at best). Say what negative things you want about Richard
Stallman, but he was on to something when he started the free software
movement and called it that (and, no, Stallman has *nothing* to do with
the open source movement, which came along later and adopted only some
of the free software movement's platform, arguably to the detriment of
both movements).

--
Shawn K. Quinn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>