Hi there!

The file is saved to a temp Directory by the browser, the browser starts OOo and the browser removes the file. There is no way for OpenOffice.org to know that the browser or email client is going to remove the file afterwards nor that OOo has been started from a browser or email client. The fact that the file is in some temp directory does not indicate that it will be removed afterwards there may be other situations where files are opened from a temp directory and not removed by some application/browser/email-client or cron-job. OOo would not know that somebody is going to remove something or not after OOo has done it´s work so OOo could not "warn that they could lose the information" because it´s not the instance that removes stuff.

Thus if there is some enhancement possibility here besides not showing files that do no longer exist in the recently used list it is in the browser or email client not inside OOo.

For the recently used list one would have to consider that especially if files reside on slow Network Volumnes it does have a performance cost to check wether all files still exists when opening the Recently Used list.

Kind regards,
Bernd

Paul wrote:
It is always good to hear stories, both good and bad...

1) I feel that items in the Recent Documents list should only be there /
selectable if they exist.

Both from OOo's perspective and PC's, the file is still there. It is
saved to a directory. It is up to the user to then determine when the
/tmp directory is cleaned.

In fact I've just tried to replicate your actions, and a .sxw file
opened from the web, doesn't appear in my 'recent documents'.

2) When a file is opened from the browser or even email client, and the user
chooses to close the window, they should be warned that they could lose the
information if they don't "save as" first

Another good suggestion, but again, since the browser/email client has
saved it to the file system (admitedly into a temp area) it could be
understood that it is unnecessary to reask the user.

If however you feel strongly about these issues, you can file an
enhancement request and then people can vote. If popular enough the
enhancements may make it into a later release of OOo.

/paul