On Sat, 2005-11-26 at 15:53 -0500, Chad Smith wrote:
> On 11/26/05, Shawn K. Quinn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 2005-11-26 at 09:09 -0500, Chad Smith wrote:
> > > If you're selling burned CDs for $5 a pop, you don't have a
> > > lot of profit to advertise with, and if you selling pressed CDs in a
> > > box for $25 or higher, for a number of reasons, you're probably going
> > > to change the name. If not only for fear of the wrath of the
> > > community, also to keep your customers for yourself, and not let them
> > > know they can download it for free.

> > "Wrath of the community?" RMS himself says there's nothing wrong with
> > selling copies of free (as in freedom) software and in fact used to sell
> > tapes with the latest version of Emacs for $150 each back in the day.

> Last I checked, RMS wasn't a regular contributor to the OpenOffice.org
> project.  And I'm referring here specifically to the OOo community.
> There are many instances where people were yelled at, called thefts,
> and much worse for selling OOo for anything more than cost.

Have you read this: (from <http://www.gnu.org/gnu/thegnuproject.html>)

        Since "free" refers to freedom, not to price, there is no
        contradiction between selling copies and free software. In fact,
        the freedom to sell copies is crucial: collections of free
        software sold on CD-ROMs are important for the community, and
        selling them is an important way to raise funds for free
        software development. Therefore, a program which people are not
        free to include on these collections is not free software.

Now, trying to pass off OOo as your own work and putting a
Microsoft-style EULA on it is quite wrong on more than one level. But
simply selling a copy of OOo and labeling it as such, I don't see a
problem with.

--
Shawn K. Quinn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>