Chad Smith wrote:

> The downside to OOo offering these other filters isn't bloat - it's a matter
> of freedom.  StarOffice pays companies for the right to use their filters.
> OOo, being free, can't do that.  Also many of the filters are of a
> propriatary nature that precludes their inclusion in a Free (as in Freedom)
> office suite.
>
> I doubt the filters are very large, so bloat wouldn't be an issue -
> confusion may be, since the "Open" and "Save as" dialog boxes have *HUGE*
> drop-down menus.

Yes, exactly. You can minimize the impact on the dialog by installing
only the filters you need. The Setup allows to do so.

The filters will not create any "bloat" in memory until you use them
(because they will not be loaded before this). Of course they eat up
several MB on your hard disk (7 MB for a complete install of all filters
IIRC), but that should be bearable.

Best regards,
Mathias

Please reply to the list only, [EMAIL PROTECTED] is a spam sink.