2005/11/26, Daniel Carrera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Of course it "can" be abreviated. What I'm saying is that abreviating it
> is not going to give you the benefit that you think it will. It will not
> speed up parsin, it will not make the file load faster. It will save
> disk space, but I doubt that disk space is the primary concern for most
> people who have documents.

I'd say that smaller files are faster than bigger. Off course they
are. Memory is slow. Disks are slow. Hashing long strings is slower
than hashing short ones (for symbol table look up). Parsing shorter
files takes less time than parsing longer ones.
It takes longer time to start large programs as well.

The effect of this ought to be fairly easy to check with any XML
parser. Create a large (so the parsing time is easy to measure) XML
file with a few different short tags and time the parser. Replace all
tags with long names and check the parsing time again. Repeat the
tests a few times to get more reliable values.
/Henrik