That was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

Now I have just one more question. My column headers are not on row 1.
They are on row 2. This is because I wanted to have a sum/subtotal cell
*above* one of the columns. It makes sense to me because that way I can
have the total above the freeze line so that when I'm scrolling through
a spreadsheet I can always see the total for that column. Plus I never
have to move the total cell as I add additional rows. Is there a way to
permanently tell Calc that line 2 will always contain the headers for
filtering purposes? Or do I have to reselect the range, starting at row
2, every time I want to apply a filter?

TIA again.

        Chuck