On 12/2/05, M. Fioretti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You and everybody else *already* are "actively concerned in
> cross-platform and/or cross-application compatibility through
> XML". Even if you do not use any computer at all.

None of that has anything to do with *his* personal choice of an office
suite.  I've been using OpenOffice.org for over 2 years now - that has had
*zero* impact on what format my bank keeps track of my records in.

There is another format that has been used for at least 25 years for
databases and spreadsheets - it's still in use today,
OOo/Excel/FileMakerPro/AppleWorks/etc. all support it.  It's called CSV or
TSV, coma separated varibles and tab seperated variables.  If you are
worried about formulas not being transfers, I'm pretty sure the formulas
existed before computers, and can be looked up and plugged into whatever
form of computer spreadsheets are in use then.

The point is, what Rod was saying was that the file format had nothing to do
with *his* using OpenOffice.org - nor does it mine.  The only formats I use
are the ones that *OTHER* programs can use, like PDF, RTF, Flash, DOC, XLS,
and PPT.

--
- Chad Smith
http://www.gimpshop.net/