My opinion is it would be more sensible to integrate a Wiki style
linking system into documents, so users can put [links between
brackets], or simply make some text into hot-links, aleviating them
the pain, of searching for content in a subject tree.

I am all for modularized information handling, however, in this case,
most users just create new documents, or keep all documents in a
single folder.

Where I see information management leading, in the document domain is
relationship between information. Finding something of interest, and
then linking directly to it. References as it were, versus modules.
The web has made this form of management quite popular.

Rigel