On 12/5/05, Randomthots <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Roger Markus wrote:
> > Same here.  There's the moral issue as well of not supporting the
> illegal
> > organization Microsoft that is damaging to the computer industry as a
> > whole.  Buying their products only strengthens the monster.  If they
> were an
> > honest company it would be a different story, but they are foul and
> should
> > be opposed for that reason alone, never mind how rotten their software
> is!

Interesting. I agree with you, Roger, about the moral issue. FWIW, I've
> never purchased a boxed MS product, but the three computers that I've
> purchased in the last 12 years have all had MS stuff pre-installed. So I
> figure I've fed them a little but not a lot ;). But I think you're dead
> wrong about their software being rotten; it generally works well and
> gets the job done.

So - Rod - you're a politician then!  Cool moves my friend!

1) Compliment your opponent ("Interesting") and make them feel at ease by
saying that you agree with them ("I agree with you").

2) Use their first name (oftentimes this is step #1) to show surface
friendliness and underlying superiority - as in a superior talking in a
friendly way to a wayward underling.

3) Ease into the attack by criticizing a point the opponent made - not the
substance mind you, but a detail that clouds the real issue.  Some call it
smoke-screening.

4) Launch the most potent attack at the end - while the opponent still
thinks they're taking part in a rational discussion and is not prepared for
the sudden thrust of the knife.

Good show Rod!  You would fit right in within the worst jungles!  (Probably
you're already there.  What's the body count so far?)

Oh - by the way.  I'm not "dead-wrong" (dated expression - can't you do any
better?) about Microsoft software being really lousy and that many people
use it the same way they buy designer clothes - not because they know what
they're doing, but because it's what they perceive to be the "correct" thing
to do to please those in power and to show their friends that they're one of
them.  It's a reason - a pathetic reason - but a reason nevertheless.
That's what the "shiny boxes" part was about Rod, not actual boxes sitting
in your hands, but shiny boxes that you may have seen on store shelves,
advertising, etc....

RM