I finally understand your point! Thank you for describing it so well.

So the question is: How can an open source development be improved to
give the normal user the best experience?

(normal = normal in the complete, non discriminating,  user group)

I think this ought to be no more difficult for OOo than for MSO, since
there are so many paid developers in this project. The free developers
can do what they think is most interesting, and the paid ones can do
what is best for the business.

Isn't it so? Why not? What can I do (if I don't think the witch hunt
has gone too far that is)?
/$