Hi Abdul,
 Please note that if you are not subscribed you may not see all answers to
your questions.

On Mon December 26 2005 07:40, Edward Buck wrote:
> Hi Louis,
>
> Happy holidays!  :-)
>
> Louis Suarez-Potts wrote:
> > On 12/24/05 10:54 PM MalikZZ wrote:
> >>Correct me if I'm wrong, but OpenOffice could use a
> >>Update feature like
> >>Windows Update and many other non-MS programs (esp
> >>anti-virus programs
> >>where users download small definition files). I would
> >>be grateful if
> >>the updates came in smaller doses rather than having
> >>to download the
> >>entire OpenOffice program.
> >
> > It could....Many others, for a long time, have also wanted this.  The
> > issue is that those who have wanted it have not also been those who
> > could make it.
> >
> > I think such a feature, which is present on StarOffice, would be
> > terrific.  One could even have something like Thunderbird's automatic
> > update.  But, developers (or developer companies) need to be interested
> > in this sort of thing.
>
> Has anyone tried to do a simple diff of installed files between
> versions?  As long as there isn't much variability in install
> destinations, it may not require much coding to create a patch.  But it
> would still require work and someone dedicated to the task; otherwise,
> no one will trust it.
>
> I think the feature would be nice but I suspect only windows users would
> be interested.  Most Linux/BSD users prefer to use the update facility
> provided by their package management system, which typically does
> package replacement rather than package modification.
>
> I do like the idea of an update facility on windows like windows update,
> which MS Office does have.  The only problem with Office update is that
> it sometimes insists that you have that darn Office cd!  Since OOo has
> never required a cd for anything, it would already be ahead of the game.
>   Perhaps an OOo update applet written in Java for windows users?  That
> could be a pretty cool project for someone looking to contribute, a
> project with limited scope that wouldn't require weeks of reading source
> code.  Of course, if using it resulted in a broken system, there would
> be a lot of angry people!  :-)

A more interesting project may be to write it using the framework underlying
OOo ( the VCL/UNO framework). I'm not 100% sure that it is possible but if it
is then this would require knowing some C++. However it would be a very
interesting extension. Are you interested in contributing time to this
project ?

--
Please reply to discuss@openoffice.org only.

Normally users@openoffice.org is the best list to ask questions about using