On 1/18/06, Jonathon Coombes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 14:25 -0500, Chad Smith wrote:
> > On 1/18/06, Pavel Janík <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >    From: Chad Smith < [EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > >    Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 12:43:37 -0500
> SNIP!
> > X11, on the other hand, does not come preinstalled, nor is it a part
> > of the default install of OS X.  It is included on the disc, but you
> > have to purposefully (a) know it's there (b) know how to find it and
> > (c) ask for it specifically - before you get it.  And you can't just
> > download it or install it by itself in Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger).  If you
> > try to download it from the Apple website, it will download, but when
> > you try to install it, the system tells you that you "already have
> > newer software installed" and doesn't give you any choice but to stop.
> >  To install X11 on a system that is already running Tiger, you have to
> > *reinstall Tiger* to do it, potentially losing data and/or
> > preferences.
>
> No problem for me. I have done it simply and easily since 10.1 up to
> 10.4.4 now.

Let me try, once again, to explain.

If TODAY you were to get a new Mac from Apple, with no special requests to
put X11 on it, it will not run OpenOffice.org proper out of the box.  It
will, however, run NeoOffice.  If you got the new Mac, which would have
Macintosh OS X 10.4.4 on it, and visit the apple.com website, and then
download the X11 they have hosted there - it will not install on Tiger.  It
says you have a newer version already installed.  If you do, OpenOffice.org
2.0 does not recognize it.  I tested this again today on the eMac I got just
a few short months ago and the OpenOffice.org I downloaded today and the X11
I downloaded today.

It will work on my laptop that had X11 installed when it was running 10.2,
and then I upgraded to Tiger.  But if you start with Tiger already
installed, you cannot in any way I've been able to find, install X11 without
reinstalling Tiger as well.

If you have X11 "grandfathered in" from a previous version of OS X, then
sure.  If you have 10.2 or 10.3 - it's not that hard, easy, some would say.
But starting on a Mac sold in the last year, or upgraded to Tiger without
X11 being installed, you have to do it the way I've described.  At least
according to all the googling and asking and testing I've done.

--
- Chad Smith
http://www.gimpshop.net/