Charles-H.Schulz wrote:
Of course I think it is. Why shouldn't I ? The fact that the ultimate
interests of OpenOffice.org as a project and a community do not match
the one of the fellowship and even the one of the ODF community itself
are not that much of a problem. At some point we're all in the same
ship, and we could assume we're somewhere near Norway. The next stop is
Rio de Janeiro. Others will get off the ship at Cape Town, and other
stops are scheduled. We can certainly agree to work and live together at
least for the Norway -> Rio part of the trip...

:-)

Anyone is free to join [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Ditto for any other project list (though 'devel' is the one with most
activity).

Yes, but you need to be subscribed in one way or another to read the
archives. I'm not comfortable with this but that is a personal opinion.

Actually, that's not true. The problem is simply that our mailing list software sucks (ezmlm) and we just don't have browsable archives at all. There /are/ archives, but you have to send a strange email to ezmlm, something like:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

And that sends you a package with emails 100 to 200 as one file :(

This is not restricted in any way. It sucks for everyone. The solution is to switch to another list manager, and we're planing to do that. We have a new server, and we're planing to use GNU Mailman in the future.

And you cannot become member of that  community without being  somewhat
coopted too, judging by what the site states.

I'm not sure what you mean by coopted. And it depends on what you mean by "member". If you mean, being an active participant, there is no requirement. Just join the list. We do have a type of voting membership (we have votes in rare occassions). For this, we copied the rules of the Debian project, and simplified them. You need a nominator and a seconder, and the ODF committee then votes. Quite similar to Debian, except it's faster and easier (Debian calls it "advocate", and the nominee has to pass a series of tests before joining).

The main benefit of voting membership is the ability to vote on the semi-annual election of the ODF committee. The ODF committee is composed of 6 members, with 1-year positions. Every 6 months we elect half of the committee. The ODF committee only has a very few powers, nothing like the OOo council. Almost every decision at ODF is made informally on list. There was only one time the ODF committee had to convene, and that was to decide some organizational rules, and discuss the (then) upcoming ODF Summit. ODF committee meetings are open to all voting members to attend. That one meeting included two regular members as observers.

Thanks for the invitation.

No problem :)

Cheers,
Daniel.