Carl,
 It's always better to write one problem per email rather than a stream of
consciousness. Also [EMAIL PROTECTED] is the prefered maiing list for
user problems. Finally since you have so many crashes can you verify that you
do not have broken RAM by using the memtest tool.

CPH

On Fri February 17 2006 23:04, Carl Shewmaker wrote:
> Well, it isn't really river city.  That's some 65
> miles away.  But I have at least double trouble.
>
> First, I've installed 2.0 on my computer (the 2nd
> newest on the lan I claim to administer, 5 machines, a
> switch, a router and a dsl modem cabled together.)
> Various machines have been added, principally when
> older ones died.  One remains with Windows 98, two
> have Windows xp professional, and one xp home edition.
>  My machine (well they are all mine, actually, but
> this one that I mostly use)has some instabilities.
> Mostly the error messages when it crashes relate to a
> problem with firefox, or a device driver that makes
> for a conflict.  But OOo 2 sometimes crashes when I am
> not using firefox, even when I'm careful not to work
> too quickly.  Recovery works well, but I'm scared when
> the machine reboots suddenly.
> I some time ago installed 1.5 on my secretaries
> machine, also running XP, and she can open files on
> this one without difficulty.  Well there is some
> difficulty.  After she opens an openoffice document
> from my computer, 1.5 crashes on her machine.
> On the 98 machine I've run a shortcut to 1.5 on my
> secretary's computer, and can access files all over
> the lan, but get an error message when I try to save
> edited work opened elsewhere.
> And, finally, I've installed a 2.2 version of Linux on
> an older machine hooked to the lan, and have
> downloaded 1.5 to it; but have tried to follow all the
> instructions as to how to install it, but have not yet
> been able to.  tared a tar.gz file and am now at a
> stand as to what to do.  rpm doesn't have any effect
> and clicking on the install folder doesn't work.
> Help with any or all of these problems (right here 65
> miles from River City)would be greatly appreciated.
> Regards,
> Carl

Normally users@openoffice.org is the best list to ask questions about using
OpenOffice.org