On Friday, March 10, 2006, at 05:42 PM, Chad Smith wrote:

On 3/10/06, Sam Hiser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I strongly disagree, Chad. There are several points where ODF becomes
highly relevant to Google's plan.

Not really.

OpenDocument may be a nice alternative archival format - but it will never
replace .doc or .xls.

Beg to differ: ODF will replace those AND it will replace the new ones in Office "12" (the MS XML formats). That's because the MS XML formats will never get off the ground.

You and everybody will be so fast out of .doc and the rest it will make your head swim. It is already becoming socially unacceptable...

See ODF Alliance...did you notice the alliance launched with about 35 names? About 2 weeks later the list is past 100.

The point is, however, despite my personal views on the format - Google is
much more interested in getting a real program - not vaporware.  iRows
exists, today, I used it today.  It's online right now - check it out -
http://www.irows.com/  Wikicalc is vaporware.  There's nowhere I can go
signup and log in. I can download an alpha-prerelease - but that's not an
online spreadsheet if I have to download it.  If Google wanted a
downloadable office suite - they'd use OpenOffice.org. We're talking about
online stuff - like Writely.

Were you unaware that Google employs some of the Hamburg SO/OOo engineers?

--
- Chad Smith
http://www.gimpshop.net/