On Sun, Mar 19, 2006 14:08:20 PM -0500, Chad Smith ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> > I'm not saying all this is right, all the contrary. I have
> > criticized explicitly this attitude in the article. But until one
> > denies that the real problem is this, nothing serious will change.
>
> I'm confused by your last statement here.  Could you explain or
> reword this paragraph?  I'm just having problems understanding what
> you meant.

The "big problem" I refer to is thinking that the arguments, language
and needs that Stallman has been repeating since 1984 have any
relevance for non programmers. Even if I do believe that he is (almost
always) right, and that Free as in Freedom software and formats can
make the world a better place for everybody.

I am receiving tons of mails this afternoon, as a reaction to the
article. Most of them are from FOSS supporters who explain to me, with
great detail, how FOSS is great also for disabled users.  And in most
of them I find the same "big problem" mentioned above: they are right,
but they are saying it in a way that wouldn't give them one in a
million chance to convince a disabled user to support ODF, OpenOffice,
Linux or anything of the sort.

So, what I meant is "you are right. Please go tell it to disabled
users. But first, for God's sake, do reword all your arguments, or
find better ones, otherwise you're doomed".

Ciao,
        Marco

--
Marco Fioretti                    mfioretti, at the server mclink.it
Fedora Core 3 for low memory      http://www.rule-project.org/

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts
                                               Daniel Patrick Moynihan