Henrik Sundberg wrote:
I think it is strange to be this pedantic about 0^0, and not care
about math at all when it comes to normal cases like this. Are we
looking for compatibility with Microsoft or math?

I am a mathematecian, and not exactly a Microsoft fan. So I'll vote for math of course (and I can get very pedantic about this). Though, in the case of 0^0 math doesn't provide an unambiguous answer because in the strictest sense 0^0 doesn't make sense. In some (not all) instances it is convenient (not required) to define it (notice, a definition) as 1.

I think that defining it as 1 for Calc will hurt more people than defining it as an error.

One alternative is: If a cell ever gets 0^0 Calc makes it 1 the way you want, but the user gets a pop-up warning him of this fact. And possibly giving him the option of changing that behaviour, or not show the warning again (like Firefox does with encrypted sites).

Best,
Daniel.
--
     /\/`) http://opendocumentfellowship.org