http://www.forbes.com/technology/2006/03/22/vista-microsoft-ballmer_cz_dl_0322microsoft.html

>From the article:

Microsoft can't afford to screw up like this. There are free alternatives to
everything Microsoft sells, like the Linux operating system and the Open
Office application suite. Rivals like *Novell* (nasdaq:
NOVL<http://www.forbes.com/finance/mktguideapps/compinfo/CompanyTearsheet.jhtml?tkr=NOVL>-
news
<http://www.forbes.com/markets/company_news.jhtml?ticker=NOVL> - people
<http://www.forbes.com/peopletracker/results.jhtml?startRow=0&name=&ticker=NOVL>),
*Red Hat* (nasdaq:
RHAT<http://www.forbes.com/finance/mktguideapps/compinfo/CompanyTearsheet.jhtml?tkr=RHAT>-
news
<http://www.forbes.com/markets/company_news.jhtml?ticker=RHAT> - people
<http://www.forbes.com/peopletracker/results.jhtml?startRow=0&name=&ticker=RHAT>),
*Sun Microsystems* (nasdaq:
SUNW<http://www.forbes.com/finance/mktguideapps/compinfo/CompanyTearsheet.jhtml?tkr=SUNW>-
news
<http://www.forbes.com/markets/company_news.jhtml?ticker=SUNW> - people
<http://www.forbes.com/peopletracker/results.jhtml?startRow=0&name=&ticker=SUNW>)
and, yes, IBM are pushing those programs big time.

Given Microsoft's delays I can't believe open-source stuff still hasn't
caught on for desktop computers. It's amazing, but people will wait months
and months for products that are so complicated that no ordinary person can
figure out how to use them.
----

What do you think?  Is the Windows Vista delay (and, presumbly the delay of
MSO 2007 with it) a good thing for OOo?  Will we be able to take this
opportunity and actually makes some ground against MSO?  Or is the author
right saying that people will still wait - pay huge amounts of money for an
office suite that they don't need and can't understand?

--
- Chad Smith
http://www.gimpshop.net/