An other option is to use space-strings with a fix character count
and fill in your numbers from right to left, i.e. rightalign your numbers,
so that they end in the second and then append your modifier.
Your example then look like:

rooms
" 1 "
"19 "
" 2 "
"22 "
"20C"
"15 "
" 2A"
" 2B"
"23 "
" 4 "
"36A"
"12 "
"16 "
"29 "
"36 "

With a query like:
SELECT  room FROM Table1 ORDER BY cast( Left(room,2) as
integer),Substr(room,3,1)
rooms should ordered appropriate.

SQL-Syntax and more can be found at
http://hsqldb.org/doc/guide/ch09.html