On Fri, 7 Apr 2006, Robin Laing wrote:
I can see a benefit to OOo here.

Those users that take their computer into their local shop to be fixed may find that they have lost all their "borrowed" software as well as their files. Now they have to go out and "borrow" the disk again. Now is a time to get OOo into the hands of the local service shops.

That's a good approach. We will be competing with the BSA, which is also stepping up pressure on local service shops, but we should try to get the word out. It would also be good, though to get a larger group of software makers to go after MS for anti-competitive recommendations...

Is there a way to add OOo to a list so that it would automatically get re-installed if a Windows user decides to wipe his machine and reload?

.. When I read stories about new rootkit virus that are kernel based, I wonder how well these can be cleaned. ...

They can't be, at least if the article and other earlier ones are reliable. One point though. These aren't new. MS managed to get people to stop talking about them for a while, but they were in the press a lot 2002 and 2003. I recall that in 2001 they popped up in security discussions about how the Windows rootkits were bypassing, and would continue to bypass for the foreseeable future, all anti-malware tools.

I can't recall any specific articles from 1999 or 2000, but here's one from 2003 talking about events in 2002:
        http://www.securityfocus.com/news/2879

        'Greg Hoglund, a California computer security consultant,
        believes intruders have been using Windows root kits covertly
        for years [mar 2003]. He says the paucity of kits captured in
        the wild is a reflection of their effectiveness -- not slow
        adoption by hackers. "It's happening now," says Hogland. "People
        don't realize that it's happening, but in the next two or
        three years we're going to see a lot more of this activity." '

That was March 2003.  This is April 2006.

-Lars
Lars Noodén ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
        Patents are wrong for software but right for inventions. Write:

http://consultation.ffii.org/Commission_extends_the_consultation_by_12_days