> I heard about OpenOffice and thought I'd give it a try.  Among the
> way too many clicks/pages necessary to download the software, I wound
> up at this confusing page:
>
> http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/ooo-osx_downloads.html

2 clicks and answers to 3 questions (yes I suppose they also
constitute as clicks) will get to above page.

> It talks about requirements to run the X11 version of OpenOffice, but
> provides no clue as to whether the X11 version is the *only* version
> and thus I must install X11, or if it's an alternate version of
> OpenOffice.

"In order to run the OpenOffice.org X11 advanced and legacy releases
you need an installed X11. For more information about X11 read our FAQ
and Apple's X11 website"
from : http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/ooo-osx_downloads.html

> The FAQ that's linked to doesn't provide much help.  (If
> you're able to find it somewhere buried in the text, that's not a
> good thing, it's a bad thing that this information is not extremely
> clear and up front -- not just in the FAQ, but BEFORE the FAQ,
> meaning the user shouldn't even have to go to the FAQ to try to
> figure out what you're trying to communicate.)
>
> I'll stick with Office.  It's already installed and it works.
>
> -MBJ-

Thanks for the feedback...

Dave