Michael Bluejay wrote:
> I heard about OpenOffice and thought I'd give it a try.  Among the way
> too many clicks/pages necessary to download the software, I wound up
> at this confusing page:
>
>     http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/ooo-osx_downloads.html
>
> It talks about requirements to run the X11 version of OpenOffice, but
> provides no clue as to whether the X11 version is the *only* version
> and thus I must install X11, or if it's an alternate version of
> OpenOffice.  The FAQ that's linked to doesn't provide much help.  (If
> you're able to find it somewhere buried in the text, that's not a good
> thing, it's a bad thing that this information is not extremely clear
> and up front -- not just in the FAQ, but BEFORE the FAQ, meaning the
> user shouldn't even have to go to the FAQ to try to figure out what
> you're trying to communicate.)
>
> I'll stick with Office.  It's already installed and it works.

Some people have some *pretty* damned strange reasons for not using OOo.
This one takes the cake though :)
Actually, I suspect this is the poster who rocked up before and
complained of a very similar issue ... basically that OOo required X11
and they were unable to install X11, etc, etc.
I don't know. I had a Powerbook for about 18 months. X11 was the 1st
thing that went on it, and I don't remember it being difficult, even
though I had no experience with OS-X at the time.

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer