On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 13:37 +1000, Daniel Kasak wrote:
> Bruce Byfield wrote:
>
> > It depends a lot on how you set things up. Use the Reiser filesystem,
> > and shut down a few extras like multiple workspaces, and a 500Mhz
> > processor with 128MB RAM runs Ubuntu fairly well. You'll notice that OOo
> > takes a long time to start, but, in general, performance is acceptable.
> >

> Not that I want to make a big thing of it, but 128MB is not usable in my
> books. With X, Blackbox, OO2 and NOTHING else running, you're already
> *well* into virtual ram ... and that's when your performance goes from
> reasonable to pathetic. You want to have some chip ram available to play
> with. Also keep in mind the original poster was talking about putting
> this on a laptop ... and a CHEAP one at that. So the performance of the
> hard disk ( and hence virtual memory ) is going to be pretty damned
> horrible.

Not really. I've tried the configuration I mentioned on an old laptop.
For basic office productivity and web surfing, I found it adequate. It's
not what I'd choose for my main machine, but, as an emergency machine it
was bearable for light duties.

Had I been planning to use it for any length of time, I probably would
have done more to lighten the load, like researching the smallest window
manager, and possibly using AbiWord instead of OOo -- or even emacs and
only starting X when I needed it. There are lots of ways to adjust to
less than optimum hardware if you have to. It's not a big deal unless
you make it one, especially if the alternative is no computer at all.

--
Bruce Byfield 604-421-7177
Burnaby, BC, Canada

"All the ancient kings came to my door
They said, "Do you want to be an ancient king too?"
I said, "Oh yes, very much
But I think my timing's wrong"
-Dan Bern, "Jerusalem"