bob lyskowski wrote:
One of my biggest pet peeves with OOo and pretty much every other program I have ever used is compatibility. I have run into some compatability isues with OOo and MS, both Excell and Word. But then I have run into compatability issues between different machines running the same version of Word, but different updates, so that issue I will ignore here.

My issue is this: Why does a program allow you to do things that are not consistent with the particular type of document? An extreme case is if you pull up a Text document, you are allowed to Bold, change font size, add special characters, formatting etc. Then, of course, when you save it all the special things are gone and sometimes the formatting is so inconsistent with txt that real information is lost. To me, I beleive that if you open something in text, you should only be allowed to do text type formatting. if you open it up a Word Document in OOo you should only be allowed to do Word kind of formatting. If you open up an old version of an Excell document in a new version of Excell, you should not be allowed to do formatting that will not be recognized by the old version of Excell. Etc.

I expect these kinds of inconsistencies from MS, but NOT from OOo.  8^)

Bob

I disagree.

If I open something in text, I may want to save it as odf or pdf with changes that are acceptable. I may also open a spreadsheet that I want to export as text which will lose sheets and formatting.

When I run a program, I want all the features available. When I save it is when I make a decision on what I can afford to lose.

If I want to edit a text document, I don't use OOo, I use emacs or a text editor. OOo is just overkill.
--
Robin Laing