On Wed, 2006-08-16 at 08:47 -0400, Chad Smith wrote:
> On 8/16/06, Ian Lynch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> > > The problem is that this is fundamentaly untrue.
> >
> > You mean its fundamentally untrue that I have never inadvertently
> > installed a virus? I can assure you it isn't. You mean its fundamentally
> > untrue that I have to put in the root password before doing potentially
> > dangerous operations eg installing something that could be a virus? I
> > assure you it isn't. You mean I don't have a virus free Ubuntu system
> > without any anti-virus software? I assure it isn't. My XP laptop
> > connected to the same broadband internet is also virus free but
> > protected by anti-virus software which I do not have the confidence to
> > remove to see how long it will last without getting infected and while I
> > am careful with E-mail attachments it would be relatively easier to
> > install a virus on my XP machine than on my Linux one.
>
> Remember, we are talking about OpenOffice.org - not Linux.

I was referring to the comment about what I said which was about e-mail
attachments and how easy they might be to install. That involves
potentially the mail client, the operating system and the software that
originated the attachment.

>  Remember, the
> problem that he article brings up about OpenOffice.org is that macros, which
> can be set up to activate merely by opening a document, can control your
> system.

They can if your system security lets them. If OOo has a bug that lets
Macros run without informing the user that is definitely a vulnerability
and nothing to do with the OS. However usually such things will get
fixed pretty quickly and wel before they become a practical risk.

If such a hole gets closed pretty quickly the virus would have a very
short proliferation half-life and therefore why bother coding it in the
first place? OTOH, if I can simply run any old program without even
being asked as a fundamental feature of the system, its  much less
likely to get universally fixed any time soon. That would give a virus
writer a much bigger incentive to do the coding. So theoretical risk and
practical risk are not the same. The degree of risk is important, not
just whether there is any risk at all.

> Now, I'll admit it's been a couple months since I've used OpenOffice.org on
> Linux (I use OOo on Windows, NeoOffice on Mac primarily), but I don't recall
> having to enter in a root password to open a document.  Please correct me if
> I'm wrong on that.

Presumably a macro virus that was going to do any damage would have to
be allowed to operate as an extension to OOo. So its really down to OOo
as to whether it let's that happen once you have authorised OOo to be
installed and run.

> If malicious code can be executed merely by opening a document - that's a
> problem.

I agree. That is why OOo should not allow macros to run without first
warning the user. Neither should MSO or any other program.

> People in this thread have said that if you open a document from an unknown
> source, you deserve whatever happens to you.

Well given the publicity about viruses propagated in this way I have
some sympathy but it makes sense in any case to make it difficult for
such actions to do any harm. That's all I'm saying.

>   People have said that it's a
> fundamental security practice and common sense not to open a document from
> someone you don't know.  "Don't take data from strangers" kind of thing.
>
> Here's the problem - it's a text file.  It's a document.  It's words and
> pictures.  It's not a program.  I'm not security expert - but I would have
> never thought opening a word processing file could hurt my computer.

Well a lot of the Macro viruses in MS Office have done a lot of damage
in the recent past so the potential is clearly there.

> Especially in Linux or Mac.  Especially if the file is in an "open
> international ISO format".

I don't think the file format has anything to do with it. ODF doesn't
describe macros so these are an attribute of the application, in this
case OOo.

> Apparently, I was wrong.  But I'm probably not
> the only one who felt safe opening what is the electronic equivalent of a
> piece of paper.

You are safe if the application is secure and more safe if the
application and the operating system are secure and warn you before any
unauthorised operations occur. Nothing is ever 100% safe, but some
things are a lot less safe than others. Abstinence is the only way of
being absolutely safe.

Ian
--
www.theINGOTS.org