You can use the rpms to install on a Debian system. A procedure (which, from memory, converts the rpms to deb files) is outlined in the Setup Guide: http://documentation.openoffice.org/setup_guide2/2.x/en/SETUP_GUIDE.pdf
http://documentation.openoffice.org/setup_guide2/2.x/en/SETUP_GUIDE_A4.pdf

Jim Ottaway wrote:
Stephen Holt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

This is true, but the version installed isn't necessarily the latest
version... I'm trying to test a language pack which is built
specifically for version 2.0.3 which probably won't work with the
default Ubuntu version.

Presumably there is some way to get the latest version using apt-get or
synaptic, but I thought it would be easier just to go straight to the
OpenOffice website.

Cheers,
Steve.

Ubuntu, right from its Warty beginings had OOo preinstalled, so why
download it?  Even if it
is not preinstalled, you can get it using synaptic. What version of
Ubuntu are you using?

For Debian there is an OpenOffice in Debian repository that you can
add to apt-sources, but
its more out of date than the Ubuntu version (2.0.2 is in Dapper)

Tony

You can get a backport of version 2.0.3 for Debian sarge by adding

deb http://www.backports.org/debian/ sarge-backports main contrib non-free

to /etc/apt-sources, and something like this to /etc/apt/preferences

Package: *
Pin: release a=sarge-backports
Pin-Priority: 200

Package: openoffice.org