Jim Ottaway wrote:
I have been using OpenOffice.org mostly because I have been doing lots
of editing work on files originally authored by others in MS Word,
Powerpoint, and Excel, which I have to return in their original file
formats. I use GNU/Linux, and OpenOffice.org appears to be the best
choice for this kind of thing.
You can check here. There are a couple 'dozen articles concerning compatibility.

saludos,
Richard.
It usually works fine, but I find that my confidence that the conversion
into and out of OpenOffice.org decreases as the complexity of the file
increases.  Since I can’t really risk things going wrong, I tend to fall
back on the MS applications to edit files with lots of complicated
things, which is a nuisance.

So I was wondering if there was a list of known incompatibilities that I
could look at to anticipate any potential problems.  I have looked
around, and the closest thing I could find was the issues database, but
that isn’t quite what I had in mind: what I would like to find is a
reasonably comprehensive list of all known issues related to saving in
external file formats.

A prior question, I suppose, would be whether my lack of confidence is
misplaced. I haven’t any empirical evidence of such problems, but, as I
said, I am very risk-averse about losing time by having to re-do the
edits in, for example, MS Word.

One thing I definitely can’t do is to ask the original authors to
consider using OpenOffice.org.

Thank you for your comments.

Regards,