Hi-

I started keeping track of words that I knew not the meaning of back in my
university days of
1959.  And slowly I kept adding more words as the years passed.  It was a
laborious task of using
a loose leaf notebook.  But with the advent of computers and me buying a laptop
in 1998, the task
became more productive.  And, thus, I now have a small! dictionary of only
difficult words:
Difficnary (copyright).

Using any Word program, I find certain limitations.  The Thesaurus  option does
NOT give word
meanings.  Nor can I search for a word knowing only its partial meaning.   And
it lacks many
difficult words and foreign phrases.   So, after editing my growing Difficnary
to just one line
meanings, I started to use the Word FIND command to search for words or
meanings in Difficnary
itself.  This method and Difficnary could be an addition to any electronic Word
application.

For example:
if one has an electronic copy of Difficnary and uses the Edit command FIND,
then one can seek on a
key meaning (e.g., “slave”) and find its words whose one-line definition
includes “slave”:
chattel -n.     slave; bondsman; belongings
coffle  -n.     a slave caravan
esne    -n.     a domestic slave
helot   -n.     slave; serf
manumission     -n.     formal liberation of a slave
manumit -v.     to release from slavery; to free as a slave
thrall  -n.     a slave; bondman

I’ve also included in Difficnary many mythology god names and foreign phrases
that caught my
interest.

I am not a programmer, but I think it would be easy to add (for free)
Difficnary word base to your
Word product: a "Find-by-Meaning".  And its word base could be expanded as
users themselves add
more words with one-line definitions.

Any interest?

John S