As it stands now in the current versions nothing is stopping or hindering use of e-mail clients.

There is Thunderbird for e-mail:
        http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/
and Sunbird for your calendar:
        http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/

As this question does seem to come up, perhaps the install instructions or dialog should explicitly tell people that they have their choice of mail / calendar clients. I guess there are people that need guidance and/or consider that such software ought to come from the same vendor. It surprises me each and every time the question does arise, though, there seems to be enough time between occurances to forget...

Another option would be to work out an arrangement to bundle Thunderbird and Sunbird.

-Lars
Lars Noodén ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
        OpenOffice.org: Now ISO 26300 Standards Compliant !