Carlo wrote:

To Whom It May Concern

I would like to know if it is legal for computer stores to sell copies of OpenOffice at retail level? I thought Open Office was a free program to download etc. I walked into a store in Cape Town, South Africa today where the shop sells your software for quite a hefty price. The actual packaging is a dvd case with REALLY badly printed sleeve. If you would like more info on this store, PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO CONTACT ME!!!

It's legal to do that. If they're charging a lot for it, it might not be ethical, but it's legal. They do have to leave the license in-tact, so people should be able to figure out that it's open-source, and therefore something they can download. But anyway, it's legal to charge whatever you want for a CD with open-source software on it.

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer